Creating a Product Item
AccountingSuite™ has two types of items: Product and Service. The big difference is that Product items are tracked in inventory.
To create an product item :
- Navigate to Inventory → Item.
- Click Create.
- Enter an item Code (product number, sku, etc).
- Enter a Description for the item.
- Choose Product in the Item Type field.
- Enter the item price. For a more complex pricing structure using Price Levels and/or Categories, use the Price Matrix.
- Enter the item Cost.
- Enter an item Category. Item Categories are used to group items for pricing, reporting and organization.
- If the item is taxable, check the taxable checkbox. See sales tax for more information on calculating and tracking sales taxes.
- Click the setup tab. Choose a costing method, default expense and sales accounts, re-order point, number of decimals to use in pricing, and UPC (all optional).
Check the Assembly box if this item is the final product that your company produces and for which inventory for this product and its raw materials will be managed in the system. See Assemblies for more information on this feature.
- Check Has Residuals to track residuals produced as a part of the assembly process.
- Check Has Labor if the Bill of Materials will include service items like labor.
- Complete the Bill of Materials.
- Check the Taxable checkbox if this item is taxable.
- Check Discount is Taxable to calculate taxes before discount is applied.
- Check Has Lots / SN if you will be tracking lots and/or serial numbers on this item.
- Click the UoM (unit of measure) tab to set up the units of measure for this item (each, box, crate, case, etc)
- Click Save and Close.
Creating a new Product Item
If you are creating an item similar to another existing item, you may copy it to save time. Right click the item in the list view and choose copy. Change the info that is different for the new item (the code must be unique) and click save. See the video below for a demonstration.