There are two prerequisites in using Item Receipts in AccountingSuite™:
1) The feature must be enabled in settings; and
2) the Use Item Receipt checkbox must be checked on the Purchase Order.
Enabling Item Receipts in AccountingSuite™
- Navigate to Settings → Purchase Settings.
- Check the checkbox next to Use Item Receipt.
- Click Save and Close.
Enabling Item Receipt on Purchase Settings
Using Item Receipts
To use Item Receipts, click the checkbox next to Use Item Receipts on the Purchase Order. If you do not wish to use an item receipt for a PO, uncheck the box before posting the PO.
The Item Receipt Checkbox on a Purchase Order.
Receiving Goods (in full, or partially) with an Item Receipt
- From the Purchase Order, click the Generate button and choose Item Receipt.
- The Vendor, Addresses, and Items are copied from the Purchase Order. The Date pre-fills with today’s date. Change any of these if necessary.
- Add or change Project / Class if needed.
Verify the quantities received (a physical count) vs the amount ordered (listed on the line item in the quantity field).
- If all items were received, click Post and Close.
- If all items were not received in full, change the quantities to match what was received and click Post and Close.
If the later of the two scenarios occurs the last step, the Item Receipt will remain Open and the Purchase Order will show Partially Received in the status column. Once the rest of the ordered items are received, create a new item receipt (it will have a later date than the first) and once Posted, the statuses of Purchase Order and Item Receipt documents will change to Closed.
A Purchase Order that shows Partially Received status
A Purchase Order that shows the number of items received and backordered
Under and Over-Receiving
There may be times when your vendor will send more or less than the quantity that was ordered on the Purchase Order. The system will allow for over and under-receiving on both the item receipt and the bill, so there is no need to change the original quantity on the Purchase Order in this event.
Under-receiving is when the total quantity received on the item receipt or the bill is less than originally ordered on the Purchase Order and there is no plan to receive the balance. In this case, close the Purchase Order by clicking the Status and choosing Closed.
Over-receiving is when the total quantity received exceeds on the item receipt or the bill exceeds the original amount ordered on the Purchase Order and there is no plan to return the excess to the vendor. In this case, indicate the quantity received on the Item Receipt or the Bill and the Purchase Order will close automatically.
Under and Over-Receiving must be enabled by clicking the checkbox labeled Backordering at Quick Menu → Settings → Inventory tab.
Item Receipt Status
Draft : Item Receipt has been created and saved, but is not complete.
Not Yet Billed : No items from the item receipt have been billed.
Partially Billed: Some items have been billed all items have been received.
Billed : All items have been billed.
Recording a Bill creates the following transactions in the General Journal:
- Debits : Expense Account for non-inventoried items or inventory, for inventoried items.
- Credits : Accounts Payable.